Employees are partners
Through a shareholding trust scheme, Tankerska plovidba makes every employee a partner in the company. Thus, every employee has both a voice in the operation and a share of the company's profits. Tankerska plovidba is a mission driven company. Managers approach is based on:
- long-term perspective
- respect for business partners
- care about people
- long-term investment
- care for the environment
Dedicated and highly competent
At Tankerska plovidba, we believe our crew is our greatest asset. Highly qualified, they pride themselves on being team players who are motivated and dedicated to the company. Crew are locally recruited from the Zadar region with its tradition of seafaring. Most of them stay with the Company throughout their careers - against a world average of four years with any one company. The majority studied at the Zadar Nautical College. They serve on the same vessels many times, frequently on the same teams, they know their colleagues and the ship's operations thoroughly, they speak the same language. All of the crew members are beneficiaries of the company's share scheme. Through sponsorship of the Zadar Nautical College, Tankerska plovidba ensures the future of the area's seagoing tradition.
We look after our people and they look after our ships. Tankerska plovidba employs up-to-the-minute technology to ensure efficient, safe and environmentally friendly operations.
Technology is only as good as the people who operate it. At Tankerska plovidba we make sure that all our operators are kept up-to-date with constant training and education.
We work closely with shipyards on our new buildings and believe in sharing our many years experience of the industry with the builders and engineers.We only work with yards which can achieve the constant high standards on which we insist.
Mario Pavić - CEO
- 1996 graduated at Nautical College Split in Nautical studies
- 1997-2003 sailed as an officer on tankers, bulk carriers, product carriers and LPGs, and achieved master mariner certification
- 2002 received a degree in Maritime Management from Faculty of Maritime Studies in Split
- 2003-2007 tanker operations manager in commercial department in Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2007-2013 worked in Tankerska’s office in London "Alan Shipping" initially as a broker and later as managing director
- 2006-2014 - President of Shipmasters’ Association – Zadar
- 2013 – present President of the Management board of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
Nikola Koščica (1975) – Member of the Management board of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 1996. BA Financial Economics from London Guildhall University
- 1997. Masters degree in Economics, Faculty of Economics, University of Rijeka
- 1997 - 2001 Analyst in Risk Management department of Dalmatinska banka d.d. Zadar
- 2001 - 2004 Raiffeisenbank Austria d.d. –Zadar Branch initially as an account manager and later as head of corporate lending department
- 2004 - 2013 Risk Manager in Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2011 - 2015 Vice president of the Supervisory Board of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2013 - present Chief Financial Officer of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2015 - present Member of the Management board of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
Ivan Pupovac (1967) - Member of the Management board of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 1992 Masters degree in Electrical Engineering from Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, University of Zagreb
- 1992 Teaches physics and information technology in a high school in Zadar
- 1992 - 2013 Technical superintendent for electrics and electronics in Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2003 - 2011 Member of the Supervisory Board of Tankerska plovidba d.d
- 2011 - 2013 President of the Supervisory Board of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2013 - 2018 Member of the Supervisory Board of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2013 - 2018 Technical Director of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2017 Masters Degree in Business Administration (MBA) from IEDC Bled
- 2018 - present Member of the Management board of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
John Karavanić (1967) - Member of the Management board of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 1992 graduated from the Faculty of Economics and Business in Zagreb
- 1992 trainee in the Commercial division in Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 1993 – 1997 senior officer in the Tanker division Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 1997 - 1999 Department Manager in Tanker department in the Commercial division
- 1999 - 2004 broker in Alan Shipping London (a Tankerska plovidba d.d. subsidiary)
- from 2004 Chartering Manager and Deputy Commercial director
- 2013 - 2018 President of the supervisory board at Viktor Lenac Shipyard
- from 2014 Project Manager and Deputy Commercial director
- 2014 - 2023 sole member of Management Board of Tankerska Next Generation
- 2023 - present: Chief Human Resources Officer and member of the Management board of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
Ivica Pijaca (1974) - Member of the Management board of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 1998 B.Sc. In Maritime transport from the Faculty of Maritime Studies in Rijeka,
- 1998-1999 3rd Mate in Tankerska plovidba d.d. fleet
- 1999-2003 initially assistant Chartering Manager in Product/chemical and gas tankers department and later as a Chartering Manager in Tankers department of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2004-2006 Alan Shipping Company Ltd. London – initially as a broker and later as a Managing Director
- 2006-2013 Chartering Manager in Tankerska plovidba d.d
- 2011- present member of the Supervisory Board of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2013 – present Commercial Director of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
Mate Valčić (1975) - Member of the Management board of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 1997. Masters degree in Electrical Engineering from Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, University of Zagreb
- 1998 internship in Technical department in Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 1999 system administrator in Tehnotrade Zadar
- 1999 - 2001 CARNet system engineer in the University of Zadar
- 2001 - 2008 system administrator in IT department in Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2008 - 2014 IT manager in IT department in Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2011 - 2013 member of the Supervisory Board of Tankerska Plovidba d.d
- 2013 - present President of the Supervisory Board of Tankerska Plovidba d.d
- 2014 - present Head of Corporate Services of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2015. Masters Degree in Business Administration (MBA) from IEDC Bled
- 1998. Masters degreee in Mechanical Engineering from Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, University of Zagreb
- 1998 internship in Technical Department in Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2000 - 2002 3rd Engineer in Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2002 - 2004 Newbuildings Superintendent assistant in Technical Department in Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2004 - 2014 Newbuildings Superintendent in Tehnical Department in Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2014 - 2015 Head of Engine department in Personnel and General Affairs Department in Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2014. Masters Degree in Business Administration (MBA) from IEDC Bled
- 2015 – present Personnel and General Affairs Department Director of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2015 – present member of the Supervisory Board of Tankerska Plovidba d.d
- 1991-1993. seaman in Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 1997. Graduated at Faculty of Tourism and Hospitality management, Opatija, University of Rijeka
- 1998. internship in Financial department in Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 1998. present employee at Personnel and General Affairs Department of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 2017. present member of Supervisory Board of Tankerska plovidba d.d.
- 1994 – Associate’s degree in Economics, majoring in marketing, Lansing Community College, Lansing, MI, USA
- 1997 – Bachelor’s degree in Economics, majoring in foreign trade, Faculty of Economics, University of Zagreb
- 1998 – 2002 intern, manager in Retail segment, and later a dealer in charge of trading in domestic and FX currency and management of the bank's kuna liquidity in the Treasury Department, Dalmatinska banka d.d. Zadar
- 2002 – 2003 corporate credit officer for legal entities at Raiffeisenbank Austria d.d., Zadar branch
- 2003 - 2020 chief relationship manager for legal entities at Privredna banka Zagreb d.d., Zadar Branch
- 2020 – 2021 Director of the Kentbank d.d., Zadar Branch
- 2021 – Director of the Northern Dalmatia Business Center in the Corporate Banking and Financial Markets Division, Medium Corporate Directorate at OTP banka d.d.
- 1996 - University of Applied Economic Sciences, majoring in International Management, FH Konstanz, Germany
- 1996 - 1999 Business Unit Financial Analyst Central & Eastern Europe, Smith & Nephew, Kassel / Germany
- 1999 - 2005 Business Group Controller, Alcan Packaging, Zurich / Switzerland & Paris / France
- 2005 - 2007 Director Finance Eastern Europe, Alcan Packaging, Singen / Germany
- 2007 - 2010 Director Finance & Commercial Technical Market, Alcan Packaging, Singen / Germany
- 2010 - 2013 Tactical Marketing Director Foil & Pharma, Amcor, Zurich / Switzerland
- 2013 - 2016 Director Commercial Food & Beverage EMEA, Amcor, Zurich / Switzerland
- 2016 - 2019 Director Finance HP Laminates EMEA, Amcor, Zurich / Switzerland
- 2019 – 2022 Senior Director Commercial Excellence EMEA, Amcor, Zurich / Switzerland
- 2022 - Group Vice President, Fiskars, Helsinki / Finland
To provide a safest and most efficient means of transporting oil,products and bulk cargoes by sea and to be the first choice to our customers since 1955.Our Values
Commitment to Safety, Quality,Energy Efficiency and Environmental protection excellence is of the greatest importance to the Company's long term success and is therefore an integral part of our business plans.
At Tankerska plovidba, we believe our crew is our greatest asset. Highly qualified, they pride themselves on being team players who are motivated and dedicated to the Company.Risk Awareness and Environment protection
We give our best efforts to avoid unacceptable risk to people,equipment and assets.
We seek to prevent environmental impacts before they are created, and strive to prevent releases to the atmosphere,land and sea.
We will work continually to improve the effectiveness of our environmental management system, evaluate our environmental performance, and reduce any environmental impacts.
The POLICY of the Company is to:
Promote safety on board vessels in order to protect the lives, well being of all personnel, maintain the integrity of the ship and its cargo and to protect environment from pollution risks.
Provide high quality service with modern, well-maintained vessels and with reliable, well-trained crews.
TANKERSKA PLOVIDBA is fully committed to providing transportation and delivery of cargoes in accordance with, or exceeding its customer needs, in a safe and efficient manner, in accordance with administration, national and international laws, rules and regulations, the highest level for the health and safety of its crews and protection of the environment and the good commercial shipping practice.
To fulfill our commitment we have put the following objectives:
- To comply or exceed all regulatory requirements
- To strive for zero harm to people and property by holding health and safety as our first priority
- To strive for zero oil spills and minimize the impact of our operations on the environment
- To manage our vessels to ensure reliable performance, structural integrity and the application of vessel standards
- To enhance the competence of our people through training and career development
- To use performance measures to continuously improve our operations
Top Management will continuously monitor realization of these objectives as a permanent goal of our Safety and Quality Management System.
The customers’ satisfaction is the focal point of our Company and their interests shall always be carefully considered.
The Company must work closely with our current and potential customers to understand the market trends in order to be able to offer a suitable service ahead of the competition.
The Company shall continuously improve safety and quality management skills of performance ashore and on board vessels, including preparing for emergencies related both to safety and environmental protection.
Top Management fully supports this Policy and its objectives.
All personnel of TANKERSKA PLOVIDBA d.d. are strictly required to adhere to this POLICY by fully complying with the Company Safety and Quality Management System.
The Company considers the preservation and protection of the environment as a paramount mission, thus taking all necessary actions to guaranty its fulfillment. Our Policy is to ensure that all owned or managed ships are operated to comply with all necessary requirements to protect the Environment and in compliance with the existing International Conventions, Administration or other applicable Regulations.
It shall be accomplished through the implementation of the following:
- Taking precautions to protect through the environment in which the Company’s ships operate.
- High standards in operating and maintaining Company’s ships.
- Responding to hazards quickly, efficiently and with the minimum possible impact to the environment and natural resources.
- Commitment to continuous improvements in our environmental performance and pollution prevention across all our activities.
- Correct treatment and handling of cargo products being transported, bunker and lubrication oils purchased, paints, chemicals, solvents, other consumables materials and in order to comply with statutory rules and regulations.
- Assessing identified risks for possible environmental impacts originating from the various environmental aspects of shipping business.
- Train crew to prevent accidental and whenever possible operational discharges of pollutants to the environment.
All shore based and shipboard personnel are strictly required to adhere to this Policy by fully complying with all requirements of the Company as well as all applicable industry, administration, national and international regulations.
The Company shall maintain a safe and healthy working environment free from use of drugs and alcohol.
No employee shall use a prohibited substance or inappropriately use prescribed medication under any circumstances.
All employees must comply with the zero alcohol limits whilst onboard.
Possession, consumption, distribution or sale of drugs and alcohol by any employee of the Company shall lead to instant dismissal and will render the person liable for legal procedures.
As a condition of employment, all vessel personnel may be required to submit to drug and alcohol testing through unannounced or routine medical examinations.
All personnel of TANKERSKA PLOVIDBA d.d. are strictly required to adhere to this POLICY by fully complying with the Company’s procedures and all applicable administration, national and international regulations.
The purpose of the Occupational Health & Safety Policy of TANKERSKA PLOVIDBA d.d. (hereafter called as Company) is to ensure that activities in connection with the ship’s maintenance and operation are carried out in safe manner in order not to cause any risk for the shipboard personnel. Company has to ensure that any personal accident or near accident is identified, evaluated and corrected in order to avoid similar situation as well as to improve the safety onboard and to be in compliance with the existing International Conventions, Administration or other applicable Regulations.
The Company has prepared following Occupational Health & Safety Policy:
- The avoidance of risks, which among other things include the combating of risks at source and the replacement of dangerous practices, substances or equipment by non-dangerous or less dangerous practices, substances or equipment.
- The evaluation of unavoidable risks and the taking of action to reduce them.
- The adoption of work patterns and procedures which take account of the capacity of the individual, in respect of the design of workplace and the choice of work equipment, with a review in particular to alleviating monotonous work and to reducing any consequent adverse effect on shipboard personnel’s health and safety.
- The adoption of procedures to take account of new technology and other changes in working practices, equipment, the working environment and any factors which may affect health and safety.
- Giving collective protective measures priority over the individual protective measures.
- The provision of appropriate and relevant information and instruction for the shipboard personnel.
The risk inherent in the working environment must be identified, evaluated and in consequence measures must be taken such to remove or minimize those risks, and so to protect shipboard personnel and others from those which are unavoidable.
Tankerska plovidba d.d. is committed to make efficient use of energy in the office and aboard its ships with the purpose of preserving natural resources, reducing atmospheric emissions and helping to mitigate the effects of climate change.
Management will lead and promote energy efficiency programmes, ensuring that the organization works in accordance with the principles established in this Policy.
Tankerska plovidba has established objectives and targets in order to improve energy performance and reduce the GHG emissions of its facilities. In order to achieve them, Management will ensure the availability of the necessary information and resources.
Tankerska plovidba will support the purchase of energy-efficient products, services and design for energy performance improvement.
Tankerska plovidba will support the choice of the best solutions when renewing / updating of existing, or projecting of new processes and facilities, which could have significant influence on the energy performance.
Tankerska plovidba will continuously improve the use of energy resources in the office and aboard ships.
Tankerska plovidba will comply with the legal requirements in force and other requirements applicable to the ships and its offices related to energy performance, including energy efficiency and the use and consumption of energy.
Energy Efficiency Management Plan shall be specific for individual vessels and reviewed regularly by both the vessel and the Company senior management.
Tankerska plovidba considers that ‘complying and ensuring compliance’ with this policy is the responsibility of all individuals who take part in its activities.
Message from the CEO
Tankerska plovidba dd is Croatian shipping company established 1955. We own and operate tanker, chemical and dry cargo vessels worldwide as well as ships for passengers’ transport in coastal navigation.
At Tankerska plovidba dd, we believe that seafarers are our greatest asset. Highly qualified, motivated and proud of their teamwork. As Tankerska takes care of its sailors, they take care of their ships. All ships are equipped with the most modern technology for the purpose of better safety and preservation of the environment.
Technology is only as good as the people who operate it. For this reason, at Tankerska, we make sure that all people are well acquainted with the ship's devices and systems, and for this purpose, training and lectures are constantly held.
We are committed to a mission of sustainability based on the environmental, social and governance (ESG)principles at a corporate, culture and policy level. We hold ourselves accountable to being proactive and solution oriented.
Our Management Board established HSQ and Internal Control Department who oversees our policies and operational controls for environmental, health, safety and social risks.
We adopted among others and apply:
- Safety and Quality Policy
- Energy Policy
- Environmental Protection Policy
- Gender Equality and Inclusion Policy
Goals, budgets, implementation timelines and progress monitoring are regularly reviewed on quarterly basis on Management Review meetings.
We aim to embed environmental stewardship in everything we do. We believe we have a responsibility to minimize the energy, carbon, water and waste impacts of our business and recognize that these impacts occur not just in the daily operations of our portfolio but also through our entire value chain. As a result, we strive to reduce environmental impacts across the full life cycle of our vessels and our corporate operations. Due to mandatory requirements, and above those according to the best industry practice we are reporting fuel consumption, and GHG emission complying with European Union’s MRV as well as IMO DCS reporting system. Furthermore we are following garbage, water consumption and production, bilge and sludge production and disposal, ballast and oily water treatments. We are also conducting controlling and planning of biofouling of hull.
2.Social and Human Capital.
A deep commitment to social responsibility is core to who we are as a company. We believe people are at the heart of our business and take pride in our outstanding work culture. We strive to be an optimal employer to our workforce as well as a valued partner to our communities.
We believe that diversity and inclusion strategies are the catalyst for success and innovation in the workplace. Wellness, both physical and financial, is the cornerstone of our employee benefit programs. Our extensive benefit choices are designed to help employees meet their own specific needs.
We also work to create partnerships with customers that share a commitment to sustainability. Customers engaged in providing products and services as well as all our officers and employees are expected to act in a manner that is consistent with our Standards of Business Conduct.
To improve business processes and identify violations of procedures and good practices, we have invested in a new unified software solution where all business data is sorted and processed. By developing a variety of reports, sophisticated, yet easy to use, we have made it possible to optimize business processes and make it easier to identify any kinds of irregularities.
All employees, including seaman, have the liberty to report anonymously or by name any breach of procedure or attempted corruption.
Strong governance, ethical business practices and prudent risk management are critical ingredients to Company’s achievement of its goal for long-term value creation and driving sustainability.
Standard of Business Conduct serves as the foundation for high standards of integrity and ethics, the deterrence of wrongdoing and the promotion of compliance with applicable regulations.
Corporate governance principles of Tankerska plovidba dd are established on the ethical management of the company, sustainable development, data and privacy protection, zero tolerance of corruption and harassment, and last but not least, environment protection.
Responsible business behavior is essential for long-term success. Aside from its employees, other stakeholders, such as customers, suppliers, public authorities and the local community, are also interested in the company’s activities. Regular communication is being held with them, which helps the Company to understand their attitudes and concerns, providing the opportunity to react in time and reconcile positive goals.
The Company’s strategy takes into account environmental and social impact, therefore policies, culture and values promote ethical behavior, respect for human rights, sustainable diversity and gender equality in a healthy and supportive work environment.
President of Management Board